Information about library services that are available during the Covid-19 pandemic.
2/06/2020 10:48 a.m.
At Covid-19 Alert Level 2 we will be gradually opening our libraries
We are gradually opening our libraries as we set them up to comply with Ministry of Health guidelines for the safety of our customers and staff. We are looking forward to seeing our customers again.
Whangarei Central Library
This library is open with limited services.
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday and Sunday: closed
- Contact tracing registration
- 1 metre physical distancing
- Follow personal hygiene measures.
- Please limit your stay so everyone can have a turn.
- Please do not come to library if you are unwell.
Open library services
- Brief general browsing and borrowing.
- Holds on items and can be collected from the Central Library after you have received notification they are ready.
Please note: Pick-up location is set to Central only until the branch libraries reopen.
- We accept returns only at the Central Library, 24/7.
- The free Wifi service.
- Limited seating for study purposes using reference only collections and the Library Wifi.
We encourage you to limit your stay to half a day.
- Photocopy services - general copying, scanning and printing from a flash drive.
- The Interlibrary Loans service is available. However, there may be delays beyond our control due to Covid-19 measures implemented by other libraries.
- The No.7 Espresso Cafe is open.
Closed library services
Kamo, Onerahi and Tikipunga Libraries remain closed and the Mobile Library will not resume its scheduled services for the time being.
- Return chutes are closed. Please return items to Whangarei Central Library.
- Holds at these libraries are being transferred to the Central Library.
- No free Wifi is available outside these libraries.
If you are unable to return your loans
- We have extended all loans taken out prior to the lockdown to 15 June 2020.
- All fines are waived.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by:
Explore our online library
The library has an extensive range of free digital media available anywhere with an internet connection, 24/7. All you need is a Whangarei District Libraries card number and pin to get access to:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines fiction and non-fiction for all ages.
- Current editions of national and international newspapers and magazines.
- Beamafilm free movie streaming service.
- Lynda Learning for video courses on a huge range of software, technology, business and creative skills.
- Encyclopedias, journals and other reference materials for homework, study and research.
- Heritage and family history resources
It's free to join the library
Join the library for instant access our online library. Membership is open to Whangarei District residents and also to those who live outside the district.